The W2MAINT program offers assistance in verifying SSN/Name information with the Social Security Administration. Before verifying any information, the district must register with the Social Security Administration. The program offers two options - SSAEVS and EVSRTN. The SSAEVS program is used to create a submission file, either paper format or electronic submission file. According to the Social Security Administration, the paper submission is limited to 50 employees or less. If requesting verification for more than 50 employees, the electronic submission is required. The Social Security Administration will return the file with any errors. The file is then renamed with a .seq extension and transferred to a specific user account. Please note the Social Security Administration takes longer to return information when the paper submission process is used. The EVSRNT program creates a printable report listing any errors. Assistance may be required from the ITC in order to copy or FTP the files.
accessing the program
The program may be executed by typing:
at the $ prompt or in the menu system type:
W2Maint - Screen 1
Screen 1 of 1
- This program allows districts to create a paper listing or create a file for electronic submission. In the Paper or Electronic Submission field enter the appropriate option:
- P - Paper, used to submit up to 50 employees.
- E - Electronic, used to verify over 50 employee name/SSNs.
- A termination date may be entered in the Termination date field. Employees with a termination date less than or equal to the date entered in USPSCN/BIOSCN will not be reported. Leaving the field blank selects all employees for the report.
- A hire date may be specified in the Hire date field. Employees with a hire date greater than or equal to the date entered in USPSCN/BIOSCN will be reported. Leaving the field blank selects all employees for the report.
- A Last paid date may be specified in the Last paid date field. Employees with a last paid date in USPSCN/BIOSCN equal to or greater than the date entered will be selected for the report. Leaving the field blank selects all employees for the report.
The Social Security Administration does not allow spaces in any part of the name. Therefore, if the last name is entered in USPSCN/BIOSCN as Van Mark, the submission file will be created with the last name Van. In order for this to be properly reported, the space will need to be removed from the employee last name field in USPSCN/BIOSCN.
Screen 1 of 1
The Social Security Administration will return any errors discovered on the "Status and Retrieval Results" web page. The returned file will be named the 16 position alpha-numeric confirmation number or 8 position alpha-numeric tracking number you received when your file was submitted. The file then needs to be renamed to EVSVER2K.SEQ to be recognized by the EVSRTN program. This file can then be transferred to the users account on the system using FTP or a copy utility.
Questions concerning information on errors found on the returned file can be directed to Social Security Administration personnel. Local and district numbers are available from the SSA website.
- The Input file is the name of the file returned by the SSA Employee Verification Service (which you would have renamed to EVSVER2K.SEQ.) This is the default file name.
- EVSRTN.TXT is the default file name for the report. This can be changed by entering a new file name in the Output file field.
- The report has the following Sort options.
- SN - Employee SSN
- N - Employee Name
Due to the limited characters allowed by the Social Security Administration, in some cases employee names may be truncated on the EVSRTN report. These limits included 13 characters for last name, 10 characters for the first name, and 7 characters for the middle name.