Creating an AP Invoice
There are two different ways to create an invoice:
- Click on "new" under the Invoice menu. Enter the Purchase Order Number and click on "invoice" to create an invoice; or
- Query the PO and display it. Click on Invoice to create the invoice.
Either option will take you to the following invoice screen where you will be able to enter the information in order to "fill" the invoice.
The cursor will automatically be placed in the Invoice # field. The Tab key or the mouse may be used to navigate from one field to the next. The following fields are available for entering invoice header information prior to filling the purchase order line items:
- Invoice # - stores the number assigned for each invoice
Vendor # - If you entered a multi-vendor purchase order, you must change the vendor # to a valid USAS vendor when filling the invoice. If the vendor number is not known, the vendor can be searched for by name by clicking on theicon. If a new vendor needs to be created (if it is a multi vendor) or an exisitng one needs modified, it can be done by clicking on the icon. This will bring up a pop-up window with either a blank vendor window to insert the new vendor data or the vendor that was typed in and needs to be modified. Once the changes are accepted the vendor will automatically be updated and inserted into the vendor number field.
The pencil icon will only appear if you have the privileges to add or modify vendors. When processing invoices for multi-vendor purchase orders, any cancellation items must be on a seperate invoice from any payments. The payments are to be processed to the vendor receiving payment, meaning the vendor number will be switched from the mutli vendor to a specific vendor number that is being invoiced. Any cancellation amount should be processed against the original multi vendor number from the purchase order.You will not be able to modify this field if a regular vendor was used for the purchase order.
- Invoice Date - stores the desired invoice date. The date automatically defaults to the current system date. If a different date is desired, it can be entered in this field by typing the desired date or by clicking on the calendar and selecting the desired date from the calendar.
- Payment Terms - allows you to select a payment term of "Net 30" or "Net 60". If you select a payment terms date, it will automatically calculate the payment due date based on the invoice date and the terms selected and displays it in the Payment Due Date field. If you want to enter a specific payment due date, you may skip the Payment Terms field and enter the date in the Payment Due Date field.
- Payment Due Date - stores the desired payment due date. The Payment Due Date is used to indicate when payment is due for the invoice. The date automatically defaults to the current system date. If a different date is desired, it can be entered in this field by typing the desired date or by clicking on the calendar and selecting the desired date from the calendar.
Once these fields have been entered, you may move down to the purchase order line items in order to fill them. The "Fill Items" option will completely fill any line items that have a checkmark in the box to the left of each line item. The "Clear Items" will clear any checkmarked items that are currently at a filled status. If you want to completely fill all items at once, click on the box at the top of the first column and it will place checkmarks in the boxes to the left of all outstanding line items. Then click on "Fill Items" to fill all of them at once. The "Cancel Items" option will cancel any items that have been check marked to be cancelled. If you prefer to fill each item manually, the following fields are available:
Description- currently displays the purchase order item description. However, if you would like to replace the PO description with an invoice description, you may override the description field. The purpose of the invoice description is to provide additional details related to the current invoice.
If you click on the beside the description/account title it will display the account code for each line item underneath the description. You can toggel between the displaying the description and dis-playing the account code and description.
- Amount - For each open item you wish to process, enter the amount you wish to process the item for.
- Status- select the status for the type of invoice item you are processing. The options available are:
- Partial - indicates a partial supply
- Full - indicates a full supply
- Cancel - indicates you wish to cancel all or part of the line item (depending on the amount entered).
- Received - stores the date the good or service was received. If left blank, it will default to the invoice date.
EIS- indicates whether or not the line item is to be written to the pending file of the Equipment Inventory System (EIS).
The "Equipment Inventory System" and "EIS Pending Threshhold" fields in USASDAT/USACON will affect how the Invoice interface will respond to the posting of items which are charged to accounts with 5xxx, 6xx, or 7xx object codes.
If the "Equipment Inventory System" flag is to "N", the EIS column will not be displayed in USASWEB, and no items will be posted to the EIS pending file.
If the "Equipment Inventory System" flag is set to "A", the EIS column in USASWEB will default to "Y" for items with 6xx, or 7xx object codes if the remaining encumbrance meets the EIS pending threshold amount. Otherwise the flag defaults to "N."
If the "Equipment Inventory System" flag is set to "Y," the EIS column in USASWEB will default to "Y" for items with 5xx, 6xx, or 7xx object codes if the remaining encumbrance meets the EIS pending threshold amount. Otherwise the flag defaults to "N."
When checking the EIS pending threshold amount, please note that the USASWEB invoice module is comparing only the remaining encumbrance amount of the item, and it is not rechecking the actual invoice amount after it is entered by the user. It is up to the individual entering the invoice to ensure that the EIS pending flag is set correctly prior to posting the invoice.
If you need to see additional information about the item to be filled, you can click on the which
The "Update" button will update the total amount you have filled and/or cancelled on the current invoice. This is a very useful button as it allows you to confirm that you have entered the correct amount for the invoice before you post it.
- Validate - The Validation function will validate all the information that has been entered for the in-voice. If the validation is successful, meaning no errors or warnings were encountered, the message "Validation Successful" will be displayed at the top of your browser window. Likewise, if any warn-ings or errors are encountered during the validation, the associated messages will be displayed.
- Post - The Post function will post the invoice. Any errors encountered will be displayed at the top of your browser window. The message "Invoice Posted Successfully" will be displayed at the top of your browser window if no errors were encountered. If fatal errors are encountered, the invoice will not be posted. Modifications will need to be made to correct the errors before the invoice can be posted.
Cancel- The Cancel function will erase any entries made to the invoice currently displayed on the screen. A pop-up box will appear in your browser ensuring that the invoice is to be cancelled. Click-ing on Yes will cancel the invoice.
The New Invoice Functions menu will be displayed at both the top and bottom of the screen for easier access.
Additional "Create an Invoice" Exercises
Query AP Invoice
The Query option under the Invoice menu allows you to search for invoices that have been posted to the USAS system. To search for an invoice, select the Query option.
There is an indication above the query, indicating which fields work with wildcards.
Invoices can be queried by the following options:
- Starting/Ending Purchase Order # - enter beginning and/or ending purchase order number to select a range of invoices by PO number.
- Wildcard Invoice # - you can enter a number or a word in this field to search for any invoice that contains that number or word. You may use asterisks "*" as a wildcard to find an invoice number containing a specific value. For example, entering in *mileage* will bring up all invoices with the word mileage in it.
- Vendor # - enter the vendor number or use the binoculars to look up a vendor number by name to view invoices by vendor.
- Starting/Ending Invoice # - enter beginning and/or ending invoice number to select a range of in-voices by invoice number.
- Starting/Ending Invoice Date - enter beginning and/or ending invoice dates (date entered in "Invoice Date" field when creating an invoice) to select a range of invoices by invoice date.
- Starting/Ending Payment Due Date - enter beginning and/or ending payment due dates to select a range of invoices by payment due date.
- Starting/Ending Posted Date - enter beginning and/or ending posted date (date the invoice was re-corded on the system) to select a range of invoices by posted date.
- Starting/Ending Posted Time - enter beginning and/or ending posted time (the time the invoice was recorded on the system) to select a range of invoices by posted time.
- Posted By Username- enter the username of the person who posted the invoices.
- Maximum Invoices Displayed - you have the option of displaying up to 250 accounts per query. The default number returned is 50.
Once the invoices have been queried, it will display the total dollar amount of all the invoices queried minus the total dollar amount of all the cancelled invoices returned in the query and display it in the "invoice query total" and the total dollar amount of the cancelled invoices will be displayed in the "invoice query total cancelled". For example, if a specific user would like to see the total dollar amount of invoices they entered today, they can enter today's date in the "starting and ending posted date" fields and their username in the "posted by username" field and click on find. The total amount of in-voices they posted that day minus any cancelled invoices will display in the "invoice query total" amount., and the total amount of cancelled invoices will be displayed in the "invoice query total cancelled." It will also display the invoices queried with other summary type information as shown below:
- Invoice Number - displays the invoice number used in creating and posting the invoice to the USAS system. All invoices found from the query will be displayed chronologically by PO number. Click on the invoice number to view all of the details of the invoice.
- PO Number - displays the PO number associated with that invoice.
- Invoice Date - displays the date entered in the "Invoice Date" field when creating the invoice.
- Vendor # - displays the vendor number associated with the invoice/PO.
- Vendor Name - displays the vendor name associated with the invoice/PO.
- Payment Due Date - displays the date entered in the "Payment Due Date" field when creating the in-voice.
- Invoice Query Total - total amount of the filled invoice items on the invoice
- Invoice Query Total Cancelled - is the total amount of the cancelled items on the invoice
Any of the column headings may be clicked on to change the order in which the invoices are currently being displayed. By default, the invoices will be displayed by purchase order number. Simply click on the column heading that you wish to have the invoices sorted by. For example, to display by "invoice number" click on that column heading. The current listing of invoices will then be sorted by invoice number (alphabetical, then numerical).
Modifying AP Invoice
The function in USASWeb/AP Invoice allows the user to make certain modifications to
invoices and invoice items prior to payment. There are two fields on the invoice which can be modified after payment, see below. In order to modify an invoice, it must first be queried by selecting the Query option under the main AP Invoice menu. Please refer to the Query AP Invoice section for help on select-ing invoices to be queried. Once the invoice has been queried, it is selected by clicking on the invoice under the invoice # column. The details of the invoice will be displayed in your browser window as shown below:
Next, click on the modify button located under AP Invoice Details. Once you have selected to modify, the invoice form changes slightly. The details of theinvoice are now opened and accessable for modifications. The following fields are modifiable:
- Invoice Number
- Invoice Date - may be modified before or after payment.
- Payment Terms
- Payment Due Date
- Invoice Item Description
- Invoice Item Amount
- Received Date - may be modified before or after payment.
- Delete Invoice item - click on the next to the invoice item that needs deleted
If a multi-vendor purchase order is invoiced then the vendor number on that invoice may be modified.
The available functions have now become: Validate, Post, and Cancel.
The scissor !icon may be used to delete an item.
icon may be used to view the additional item detail. Click out of the pop-up box to remove it.
system. Use the function to leave the invoice posted to the system unchanged and return to the Query page.
Deleting an AP Invoice
The Delete function may be used to delete any invoice that does not have any payments made against it . Invoices may be deleted using the following steps:
First, the invoice to be deleted must be queried using the "Query" option located under the main AP Invoice Menu. Please refer to the "Query AP Invoice" section for help on selecting invoices to be queried. Once the invoice has been queried, it is selected by clicking on the invoice under the invoice # column. The invoice details will be displayed in your browser window.
Once you have selected to delete, a pop-up box will come up to confirm that the invoice is to be deleted. Click on OK in the popup box to delete the invoice. Selecting Cancel will leave the invoice posted to the system.