A Billing is an invoice created by the district that lists the goods or services provided to the customer. Billing contains several options including creating a billing, cloning an existing billing, editing an existing billing, printing a billing, applying payments, and applying credits to an existing billing.
Create a Billing
- From the Account Receivable menu, select "Billings" to display the Billing grid.
- Enter desired information into the billing
- Enter an existing ledger code or select an existing code from the drop down. Ledger Codes are created in Accounts Receivable>Ledger Codes.
- Billing #: auto-assigned
- Enter the Billing date (can be a date in current year, prior year or next fiscal year)
- Enter an existing customer or select one from the drop down. Customers are created in Accounts Receivable>Customers
- Enter an existing payment location or select one from the drop down. Payment Locations are created in Accounts Receivable>Payment Locations
- Due Date: Will use the 'days till due' from the ledger code; otherwise, it will default to the current date
- Attention: Optional field
- Click on to add items to the billing. Each line includes the following
- Line Number: line item number
- Service Date: enter date the service was performed
- Description: enter description of the item
- Amount: enter the amount for the billing item
- Remaining Amount: calculates remaining billing amount after payments have been made/credits have been applied to the item
- Amount Paid: calculates the amount paid on the billing item
- Applied Credit Amount: calculates amount of credit applied to the item
- Account: enter the account code to be credited. The account code may be a revenue or expenditure account (reduction of expenditure).
- Click on to post the billing to the system. Click on Cancel to cancel out of the billing without posting.
The Billings grid allows you to search for existing billings by clicking in the filter row in the grid columns and entering in the desired information. By default, the Billings grid sorts by the most recent Billing date. Click on to generate a quick report based on what you filtered. Click on any row of the search results to see a highlight view of the record.
Click the view iconto view a particular billing. From there, you have the option to edit, clone, apply payments, apply credits or print a billing.
Edit a Billing
Billings that do not have associated payments may be modified. Only fields that are allowed to be edited will be displayed.
To edit a billing:
- Query for desired billing
- Click on the edit icon for the billing
- Make desired changes
- Click on Save to post the billing to the system, click on Cancel to not post the modified billing and return to the Billing grid.
Clone a Billing
The clone function may be used to copy all of the information from an existing billing into a new one while allowing changes to be made before posting the new billing.
- Select desired billing on grid
- Click on to view the billing information
- Click on to clone the billing into a new billing
- Make any desired changes and click on to post the transaction to the system, or click on Cancel to not post the transaction and return to the Billing grid.
Print a Billing
You may print a billing when viewing the billing. You may also print one or multiple billings from the grid.
To print a single billing:
- After posting your billing, click on to print it in either XML or PDF format.
- Or select the desired billing from the grid. Click on to view the billing information. Click on to print an existing Billing. Output Formats include XML or PDF.
To print a multiple billings:
- Select desired billings on grid
- Click on to print selected billings. Output Formats include XML or PDF.
Apply Credits/Manage Credits
If an overpayment has been made to a billing, a credit may be applied to an outstanding billing against the same customer. If you wish to issue a refund check to the customer instead, please refer to Credits for more details.
After querying and selecting an existing billing, theoption may be used to apply available credit from the customer to the billing.
The customer of the overpayment and the customer of the credit billing must be the same
- Select and view the desired billing on the grid
- If there is a credit that can be applied to this customer, will be made available. Click on . It will automatically apply credit against the outstanding amount of the billing. If the amount of credit is more than the remaining amount of the billing, it will apply credit to the entire remaining amount. (i.e. If the customer's total credit amount is $100 and the remaining amount of the billing item is $60, using this option will apply the credit to the entire remaining amount $60. The remaining $40 customer credit is still available to use on another billing.)
If you want to control the amount of credit applied to each billing item, click on the Manage Credit icon displayed on each billing item.
- A Credit Management window is displayed which provides a summary of the billing item selected. Click on .
- The Credit Selection window is displayed containing outstanding credit amounts available to use for this customer. Check the desired credit line and enter the desired amount of that credit and click on to apply the credit to this billing item.
- The billing credit will be displayed in the Credit Management window. Click the 'x' in the top right corner of the window to close the window and the amount will appear in the Applied Credit Amount field in the billing item.
The Apply Payment option allows you to apply a payment against a billing or multiple billings. NOTE: When applying payment to multiple billings, they must be for the same customer. Please refer to Payments for further details
Delete a Billing
The Delete function may be used to delete a billing in an open posting period that does not have any payments made against it.
- Query the desired billing
- Click on the Delete icon
- Confirm you want to delete by clicking on .
Currently, the Import option is only available to import from the SSWAT file formats. Click here for the steps on how to import Billings from Classic ARF.
- NOTE: The Classic billing number will not be imported into Redesign as the Redesign billing number but will be stored as the Legacy Number. When importing, a new Billing # will be auto-assigned. Classic allowed the same billing numbers (i.e. MISC 00567 and GEN 00567) whereas in Redesign each number tied to a ledger code must be unique.