SPLIT is located under the EISSCN main menu. It is a program that allows you to split a lot item into multiple tag items. A lot is defined as a collection of like items which are recorded on the inventory file with a single tag number, but with a value greater than one in the "number of items" field on ITMSCN.
The SPLIT option is very useful in splitting a purchase order lot into multiple tag items on the inventory file. It is also useful in situations where part of a lot is to be disposed of or moved to a different location. Procedures for both of these are discussed later in the chapter.
By using the SPLIT program, item records for each of the new tag numbers created are automatically posted to the system. Acquisition records will be posted as well if the item being split was entered with an acquisition transaction. The original cost, replacement cost, and depreciation value of the item being split are also automatically prorated among the individual tags.
In order to split an item it must have a quantity greater than one in the "number of items" field and it can not have a status of disposed of, inactive, or old tag item.
The maximum number of tags a lot may be split into is 300. For example, if you have have a lot of 450, you first need to split that tag into two tags entering "225" in each tags "no in lot" field during the split. Afterwards, you can split the two tags into individual tag numbers.
A report, SPLTAG.TXT, will automatically be generated displaying the original item as well as the individual tag numbers created by the SPLIT program.
accessing the program
This program may be executed by typing:
at the $ prompt, or in the menu system type:
and then selecting the SPLIT option.
Select the number of the desired module on the menu line and press the [Accept] key. This may also be done by typing the module name on the menu line and pressing [Accept] or by pressing the [Tab] key until the cursor is next to the module desired and press [Accept].
SPLIT Screen 1
Field Definitions - Screen1
Tag Number to Split is the tag number on the inventory system that you would like to split into seperate sublots or individual tag numbers.
The tag number to be split must contain more than one item in the "Number of Items" field in screen 1 of ITMSCN.
- Beginning New Tag Number to Create is the beginning tag number to be used in creating the seperate sublots or individual items. The original tag number used for the lot may be used as the beginning tag number.
- Number of New Tags to Create is the number of sublots or individually tagged items you wish to create from the lot. If left blank, the number will default to the number in the "number of items" field from ITMSCN.
Listed below is a brief description of the function keys available upon accessing the SPLIT program.
- Accept function key will process the entered information and advance you to the next screen of the SPLIT operation.
- Help function key will display on-line help pertaining to the field your cursor is positioned on.
- Exit function key will allow you to exit out of the SPLIT option.
- Switch function key allows you to switch between the ITMSCN, ACQTRN, DSPTRN, TRNTRN, and SPLIT programs. While in display mode in any of the EISSCN subprograms, if you select the [Switch] function key, it will create a submenu of the EISSCN programs. At this point, you may either cancel the operation or "switch" to one of the programs by pressing the corresponding function key. The switch feature eliminates the need to go back to the EISSCN menu in order to access another EISSCN program.
SPLIT Screen 2
Field Definitions - Screen 2
- Tag Number is the new tag number created in the split.
- No. in Lot is the number of items in each new tag number.
- Serial Number is the serial number for the item. This will automatically default to the serial number found on the ITMSCN record of the item being split.
- Model Number is the model number for the item. This will automatically default to the model number found on the ITMSCN record of the item being split.
- Org. Unit is the organization unit code as defined in EISMNT/ORGSCN. This will automatically default to the organizational unit found on the ITMSCN record of the item being split.
- Location Cat/Num is the location category and location number of the item as defined in EISMNT/LOCSCN. This will automatically default to the current location category and number found on the ITMSCN record of the lot being split.
Listed below is a brief description of the function keys available upon accessing screen 2 of the SPLIT program.
- Process key will post the new sublots or individual tags to the inventory system creating item records for each new tag number.
- Top key will take you back to the first tag number's information being created in the split operation.
- Help key will display on-line help pertaining to the field your cursor is positioned on.
- Cancel key allows you to cancel the split and return you back to the previous screen.
splitting a lot
Splitting a Purchase Order Item Into Multiple Tag Items
It is fairly common for purchase orders to have line items with a quantity greater than one and the total price being equal to the total of all the items. For example, a purchase order may have one line item for a quantity of 20 computers. Each computer has its own seperate serial number and should be stored as individual tag numbers on the inventory system. The split option can be used to do this in a timely manner without having to enter all the information for each computer 20 seperate times. By using the SPLIT option, item records will automatically be posted for each item in the lot. The program also automatically divides the original cost of the lot among the new tag numbers being created. The following procedure shows how this can be done.
- The lot to be split must first be entered on the inventory system using the EISSCN/ITMSCN Add function.
- To split the lot you may either choose the SPLIT option from the EISSCN main menu or by displaying the item record in ITMSCN and choosing the [Split lot] function key.
- Upon accessing the SPLIT program you will be presented with a screen in which you will be prompted to enter the following:
- The tag number of the item to split.
- The beginning new tag number to generate
- The number of new tag numbers to generate.
The following is an example of what the screen will look like:
Please note the following:
- The beginning new tag number may be numeric or numeric with an alphabetic prefix (i.e. A100). The tag may not be completely alphabetic because the new tag numbers are generated by incrementing the beginning new tag number.
- Unless using the tag number to be split, the beginning tag number may not already exist on the inventory file. If the tag number of the item being split is not used, it will be deleted from the system upon completing the split process.
- If the number of new tag numbers to generate is left blank, the program will automatically default to the number in the "number of items" field from the ITMSCN record of the item being split. In this example, the program would automatically create 20 new tag numbers with each containing 1 item. You may specify a number less than the quantity actually stored in the "number of items" field. You will then have to specify how many items are to be placed in each lot created. The total number of items in the new lots must equal the number of items in the lot being split. For example, a lot of 10 items may be split into 2 sublots, one containing 6 items and the other 4.
- There is a maximum of 100 new tag numbers to be generated during each split process.
- Press the [Accept] key to continue with the splitting option.
A screen such as the following will appear:
Since the number of new tags to be created was equal to the number of items in the lot, the program automatically knows to place 1 in the "No. in lot" field.
- You may wish to add or modify the serial number, model number and the correct location category and number for each of the new tags. The program automatically defaults to the information stored on the item record for the tag number that was split.
- Once all the information is correct and complete, press the [Process] key. You will be taken back to the fist screen of the SPLIT option. You should see a message at the bottom of the screen
signifying the split was completed successfully. Item records will be posted for each new tag created.
Transferring or Disposing of Part of a Lot
Sometimes it is necessary to split a lot in order to record part of the lot being moved to a new location category and number. For example, a lot currently on the inventory system is made up of 30 chairs. Suppose you wish to move 10 of the chairs to a new location. The lot can be split into two sublots with 20 chairs in one and 10 in the other. The two lots will now each have a seperate tag number and you can specify the new location for the one containing 10 items. The program will automatically prorate the original cost between the two sublots, create new item records, and acquisition records (if the original lot had an acquisition record.)
It may also be necessary to split a lot to record a portion being disposed of from the inventory system. For example, a lot currently on the system consists of 20 stools. After an annual inventory it is determined that 5 of the stools are no longer usable and need to be disposed of. In order to properly record this on the inventory system the lot could be split into 2 sublots with one containing 15 stools and the other 5. Once the split process is complete, a disposition transaction can be posted for the tag number of the new lot consisting of the 5 unusable stools.
Use the following steps to complete the split process for either of the two situations described above:
- Access the SPLIT option by either using the [Splitting lot] function key in ITMSCN or by selecting the SPLIT option from the EISSCN menu.
- Enter the tag number of the item to be split, the beginning new tag number to generate, and the number of new tag numbers to generate. Using either of the situations described above, the number of new tag numbers to generate would be 2.
- Press the [Accept] key to go to the second SPLIT screen.
- The number of items in each lot will need to be specified since the number of lots is less than the actual number of items to be split. If splitting the chairs as described above, one lot would contain 20 chairs and the other would contain 10.
- You may wish to add or modify the serial number, model number and the correct location category and number for the new tags. Using the chair example again, the new location category and number could be entered here for the lot of 10 chairs being moved to a different location.
- Press the [Process] key. You will be taken back to the first screen of the SPLIT option. You should see a message at the bottom of the screen signifying the split was completed successfully.
Sample SPLTAG Report
The following is a sample of the report that is automatically created when items are split.