DSPTRN is the program used to dispose of items from the inventory system. It is located under the EISSCN Maintenance Menu.
Disposition transactions contain information about disposing of an item on the inventory file. These transactions provide a way of recording what has happened to assets no longer being used by the district. Disposition transactions are not required if not on GAAP reporting but are recommended. Posting a disposition transaction keeps the Item record on file changing the status to "D", Disposed of, on the ITMSCN record. If on GAAP reporting and a capitalized asset is disposed of, the change of status will be reflected in the "dispositions" column on the Change Schedule (EIS103).
accessing the program
This program may be executed by typing:
at the $ prompt, or in the menu system type:
and then selecting the DSPTRN option.
Select the number of the desired module on the menu line and press the [Accept] key. This may also be done by typing the module name on the menu line and pressing [Accept] or by pressing the [Tab] key until the cursor is next to the module desired and press [Accept].
Field Definitions - Screen 1
- * Date* is the date the item is to be disposed of. The date must be in the current fiscal year as determined by the date in the last fiscal year closed field on EISMNT/DATSCN.
- * Description* is the item's description from the ITMSCN record (line 1).
- * Amount Received* is the amount the district received from a direct sale or trade in. This is an optional entry.
- * Method* is the method of disposal as defined by the district in EISMNT/DSPSCN.
- * Authorization* is the name of the person who is authorizing the disposal of the item. This is an optional entry.
- * Function* is the item's function code from the ITMSCN record.
- * Cost Disposed Of* is the current original cost of the item from the ITMSCN record.
- * Fund* is the item's fund code from the ITMSCN record.
- * Number of Items* is the number of items from the ITMSCN record.
- * Class* is the item's asset class code from the ITMSCN record.
- * Error Adjustment Flag* should be set to "Y" if the disposition is an adjustment for an error made in a prior fiscal year.*
The Function, Cost Disposed Of, Fund, Number of Items, and Class fields are all non-modifiable fields. These values are carried over from the ITMSCN record.
DSPTRN Function Keys
Listed below is a brief description of the function keys available upon accessing DSPTRN.
- * Top* function key will display the first disposition record on file by tag number.
- * Help* function key will display on-line help pertaining to the field your cursor is positioned on.
- * Exit* function key will allow you to exit out of DSPTRN.
- * Next* function key displays the next consecutive disposition records on the screen.
- * Find* function key finds the tag number specified in the find field located at the top of the screen. After typing in the specified tag number, press the [Find] function key and DSPTRN loads all of the information associated with that tag number's disposition record onto the screen. If the tag number can not be found, DSPTRN will load the next consecutive tag number.
- * Add* function key allows you to add a disposition transaction and all of it's associated information.
- * Delete* function key deletes the disposition transaction that is currently being displayed. If on GAAP, you will be restricted to only deleting transactions that have been entered in the current fiscal year as determined by the last fiscal year closed in EISMNT/DATSCN.
- * Modify* function key allows you to make modifications to the disposition transaction currently being displayed. You will only be allowed to modify certain fields if the GAAP flag is set to "Y" in EISMNT/DATSCN.
- * Lockmode* function key "locks" you into any of the major function keys available in DSPTRN, this includes the Add, Delete, and Modify functions. By pressing [Lockmode] and then another function key such as [Add], DSPTRN will allow you to keep adding new dispositions without having to press the [Add] key for each new record.
- * Set defaults* function key allows you to establish preset values in the fields. These fields are then used when adding new dispositions. These settings are removed upon exiting out of EISSCN.
- * Switch* function key allows you to switch between the ITMSCN, ACQTRN, TRNTRN, PENDING, and SPLIT programs. While in display mode in any of the EISSCN subprograms, if you select the [Switch] function key, it will create a submenu of the EISSCN programs. At this point, you may either cancel the operation or "switch" to one of the programs by pressing the corresponding function key. The switch feature eliminates the need to go back to the EISSCN menu in order to access another EISSCN program.
ADDING A DISPOSITION TRANSACTION
When adding a disposition transaction, the tag number to be disposed of must already exist on the inventory system and you will be restricted to using a date within the current fiscal year if on GAAP.
The Description, Fund, Function, Class, Cost Disposed Of, and the Number of Items are filled in automatically from the current information stored on the inventory file for the item. The "Cost Disposed Of" is the current value of the Original Cost on the ITMSCN record. This value is in no way related to the "Amount Received" value.
Use the following procedure to add a disposition transaction:
- Press the [Add] key to bring up a blank disposition screen such as the following.
- Add the desired information using the tab key to move from field to field. The amount received, authorization, disposition method, and adjustment flag are optional fields.
"Toggle Tab" function can be used in the add mode of DSPTRN. The "Toggle Tabs" function key allows you to skip a field that you are not using. For example, if you would like to skip over the description field, press [Toggle Tab] while the cursor is on each of the fields. The cursor will then skip over these fields when adding any other dispositions.
- Press the "Add" key to confirm that the disposition is posted.
- The status code of the item will now be "D", Disposed of, on the ITMSCN record.
MODIFYING A DISPOSITION TRANSACTION
The disposition method, authorization, and amount received fields are always modifiable in DSPTRN. If you are not on GAAP, the error adjustment flag is also modifiable. However, if you are on GAAP the error adjustment flag is only modifiable on transactions added within the current fiscal year.
The date, whether on GAAP or not, is not modifiable.
Use the following procedure to modify disposition transactions:
- Display the disposition to be modified by using the [Find] key.
- Place the cursor somewhere on the disposition transaction and press the [Modify] key. Make the desired changes.
- Press the "Modify" key to confirm the changes are posted.
DELETING A DISPOSITION TRANSACTION
If on GAAP, you will be restricted to deleting only disposition transactions that have been entered during the current fiscal year. Deleting a disposition record will set the status of the item back to an "Active" status on the ITMSCN record.
Use the following procedure to delete a disposition:
- Display the record to be deleted by using the [Find] key.
- Place the cursor somewhere on the disposition record and press the [Delete] key. The tag number will be highlighted.
- Press the "Delete" key to confirm the record will be deleted.