ACQTRN is the program used to post acquisition transactions for items. It is located under the EISSCN Maintenance Menu.
The information entered and stored on the acquisition records is primarily the purchase order information about the item. Acquisition transactions are posted automatically through the ADD option of ITMSCN when adding a new item. They may also be posted directly in ACQTRN for items already recorded on the inventory. Posting an acquisition transaction for a new item is optional if the GAAP flag is set to "N" on the EISMNT/DATSCN. However, it is recommended to always post one for each item added to the inventory. If the GAAP flag is set to "Y" an acquisition transaction must be posted. This is necessary in tracking the acquisition dollar amounts reported on the GAAP Change Schedule, EIS103 report. It may be necessary to post these transactions for already existing items in instances such as the following:
- an item has been improved, adding to the value of the original cost
- to record historical acquisition information (there may be items on the inventory that do not have an acquisition record)
- to record a lease payment or other periodic payment
- to correct an error from a prior fiscal year
accessing the program
This program may be executed by typing:
at the $ prompt, or in the menu system type:
and then selecting the ACQTRN option.
Select the number of the desired module on the menu line and press the [Accept] key. This may also be done by typing the module name on the menu line and pressing [Accept] or by pressing the [Tab] key until the cursor is next to the module desired and press [Accept].
ACQTRN Field Definitions
- Get Pending can be used to enter the purchase order number, item number, and invoice number of an item on the pending file. After filling in the fields, the [Get Pending] function key can be used to pull the item's information directly into the acquisition screen.
- Type is the code for the "type" of acquisition record. This may be A-acquisition or P-payment. Type "A" affects the GAAP schedules if the item is capitalized. Type "P" is used to record payments and does not affect the GAAP schedules.
- Date is the date the acquisition record is posted. The date must be in the current fiscal year as determined by the fiscal year closed flag on the EISMNT/DATSCN record.
- Count is the number of acquisition transaction records entered for a single item on the same day. Acquisition transactions for an item are stored in increasing order by date.
- USAS Account Code is the USAS source account to which the item is charged.
- USAS Vendor Number is the USAS vendor number from which the item was purchased.
- Acquisition Amount is the dollar amount expended for the item.
- Original Cost Updated is the flag to have the original cost updated by the amount of a transaction. If entering an acquisition transaction for historical purposes, the flag would be set to "N" because the amount is already a part of the original cost entered on the inventory. This only affects acquisitions with a type = A.
- Purchase Order No. is the USAS purchase order number used to purchase the item.
- Item Number is the item number from the USAS purchase order.
- Date is the date of the USAS purchase order.
- Grant ID is the CFDA (Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance) number as found on the grant papers or a user supplied code to identify federal, state, or other grants.
- Grant Year is the project year for the associated grant code.
- Check No is the USAS check number used in purchasing the item.
- Function is the item's function code from the ITMSCN.
- Fund is the item's fund code from the ITMSCN record.
- Class is the item's class code from the ITMSCN record.
- Error Adjustment is the flag to show that the transaction is an adjustment for an error made in a prior fiscal year.
- Indicates GAAP required fields
The fund, function, and class codes are non-modifiable fields carried over from the ITMSCN record for each item.
ACQTRN Function Keys
Listed below is a brief description of the function keys available upon accessing ACQTRN.
- Top function key will display the first acquisition record on file by tag number.
- Help function key will display on-line help pertaining to the field your cursor is positioned on.
- Exit function key will allow you to exit out of ACQTRN.
- Next function key displays the next consecutive acquisition transaction on the screen.
- Find function key finds the tag number specified in the find field located at the top of the screen. After typing in the specified tag number, press the [Find] function key and
ACQTRN loads all of the information associated with that tag number's acquisition transaction onto the screen. If the tag number can not be found, ACQTRN will load the next consecutive tag number.
- Add function key allows you to add an acquisition record and all of it's associated information. The procedure for adding transactions is described later in this chapter.
- Delete function deletes the acquisition transaction that is currently being displayed. If on GAAP, you will be restricted to only deleting transactions that have been entered in the current fiscal year as determined by the last fiscal year closed in EISMNT/DATSCN.
- Modify function key allows you to make modifications to the acquisition transaction currently being displayed. You will only be allowed to modify certain fields if the GAAP flag is set to "Y" in EISMNT/DATSCN.
- Lockmode function key "locks" you into any of the major function keys available in ACQTRN, this includes the Add, Delete, and Modify functions. By pressing [Lockmode] and then another function key such as [Add], ACQTRN will allow you to keep adding new acquisitions without having to press the [Add] key for each new acquisition.
- Set defaults function key allows you to establish preset values in the fields. These fields are then used when adding new acquisitions. These settings are removed upon exiting out of EISSCN.
- Switch function key allows you to switch between the ITMSCN, DSPTRN, TRNTRN, PENDING, and SPLIT programs. While indisplay mode in any of the EISSCN subprograms, if you select the [Switch] function key, it will create a submenu of the EISSCN programs. At this point, you may either cancel the operation or "switch" to one of the programs by pressing the corresponding function key. The switch feature eliminates the need to go back to the EISSCN menu in order to access another EISSCN program.
ADDING AN ACQUISITION TRANSACTION
Items that are currently on the inventory may at some point be upgraded adding to the value of the original cost. For instance, a computer that is currently on the inventory may have memory added to it. In such an instance, the following steps would be used to show the increase in the value of the computer on the inventory system:
- Press the [Add] key. A blank acquisition screen will be displayed.
- Enter the tag number currently recorded on the system for the item.
- You will need to enter at least the following:
- Date (must be in current processing fiscal year)
- Acquisition Amount
- Original Cost Updated? set to "Y"
- in this instance, the Error Adjustment flag would be set to "N"
- Press the "Add" key to post the record.
By setting the update the original cost flag to "Y" the original cost on the corresponding item record will be increased by the amount of the acquisition transaction. If on GAAP, the increase will be reflected in the "acquisitions" column of the Change Schedule (EIS103).
Listed below is a brief description on posting acquisition transactions for various other reasons.
Adding Improvements to an Item
Follow the example from above. When improving an item, enter the transaction with a type of "A", set the update original cost flag to "Y", and set the error adjustment flag to "N".
Recording Historical Acquisition Information
Historical acquisition transactions refer to posting an acquisition record for an item already on the inventory without a corresponding acquisition transaction. When on GAAP reporting, any capitalized assets without a corresponding acquisiton record will fall under the "Aquisitions Prior to System Startup" on the GAAP Schedule by Source. Posting historical acquisitions for these items will put them into the correct source fund.
Acquisitions posted for this reason would have the update original cost flag set to "N" as well as the error adjustment flag set to "N". You can also use a date from a prior fiscal year when posting the transaction.
The total acquisition amount must not exceed the original cost when adding historical acquisition transactions.
Recording a Lease Payment or Other Periodic Payment
To record a lease payment or other periodic payment, you should add a transaction with a type of "P". Set the update original cost and the error adjustment flags to "N". The original cost will never be updated for payment transactions.
Correcting an Error from a Previous Fiscal Year
If on GAAP, acquisition transactions can be posted to correct an error in the original cost of an item posted in a previous fiscal year. When posting transactions for this purpose, the update original cost flag should be set to "Y" as should the error adjustment flag. This will update the original cost on the item record. Setting the adjustment flag will put the amount in the "adjustments" column of the Change Schedule (EIS103) instead of the "acquisitions" column as in improving an item.
DELETE AN ACQUISITION TRANSACTION
If the GAAP flag is set to "N" in EISMNT/DATSCN you will be able to delete any acquisition transaction on file. If the GAAP flag is set to "Y" you will be limited to deleting only those transactions that are posted during the current fiscal year.
Use the following procedure to delete an acquisition transaction:
- Display the acquisition record to be deleted by using the [Find] key.
- Press the [Delete] key. The tag number will be highlighted.
- Press the "Delete" key to confirm that the record will be deleted.
MODIFY AN ACQUISITION TRANSACTION
Regardless of whether or not the GAAP flag is set to "Y" or "N", the fund, function, and asset class can not be modified in ACQTRN. The type, date, and update flag can not be modified either. Upon selecting the modify function, the fields that are modifiable will be highlighted.
If on GAAP, the acquisition amount and the adjustment flag can be modified if the acquisition was posted during the current fiscal year.
Use the following steps to modify an acquisition:
- Display the acquisition to be modified by using the [Find] key.
- Press the [Modify] key and make the desired changes.
- Press the "Modify" key to confirm the modifications will be posted.
Tracking Grant Items
On the acquisition transaction record there are two fields related to grants. One of these is the Grant Identifier ID field. By entering some identifier code, such as CHAPI, CHAPII, etc., in this field you can easily keep track of all of the items purchased under the grant. There is a report, EIS203 (Asset Listing by Grant/Source), located in the EISRPT program that can be generated to view these items.