ALERT - Do not use beyond FY15
Instructions provided on this page are for CTE Followup reporting for FY15 and prior (thru FY13). These instructions should not be used after FY15.
March (D) CTE Followup Processing Setup & Outline
This document outlines the processing steps necessary to update ODE's GV source file to include student names. Districts may use EMISFFE, or a third party application, to update the GV source records for March reporting to ODE. The March (D) data will be reported to ODE using the EMIS-R Data Collector. The following processing steps are valid for FY13 and beyond.
The contents of this document are intended for use as reference for ITC staff members, the contents are not intended for use by the general end-user population
- Retrieve the zipped GV files from the ODE secure FTP site. This is done in the same manner as any other files would be copied from this location.
Unzip the files leaving them in OECN$ODE_HQ
SSDT recommends that the Alpha UNZIP utility be used to unzip the GV data files. Failure to do so may result in formatting issues with the extracted files. Improperly formatted files will cause the GV load procedure to fail.
Execute the GV Load procedure
References to OECN$EMIS_fy represents the fiscal year specific OECN$EMIS logical for the current fiscal year, ie. OECN$EMIS_13, OECN$EMIS_14. The OECN$EMIS_fy logical should be pointing to the EMIS V3.0 executable directory on your Alpha system. In the following instructions, replace OECN$EMIS_fy with the appropriate fiscal year logical.
The procedure will process the ODE GV Source files placing the results in OECN$OUT of the ITC personnel executing the procedure. For each district that ODE sent a GV source file for, there will be a DMSVSE_xxxxxx.SEQ file in the OECN$OUT directory. The output files will NOT be copied out to individual district directories on your Alpha. There is also no error report generated by the procedure. If a name is not found on the EMSRSTURVRS.IDX file for an SSID, that GV record will not be updated to include a student name, the name field will remain spaces.
It is highly recommended, the GV data from the prior year be saved to an archive location. This archive can be completed by running an export of the GV record type from EMISFFE prior to importing this new data set. If districts also submit GY test records for March, the FA file should be exported as well. Both files should then be placed in a secure location. Since this data is found on district report cards, it is critical this data be preserved for reference as needed.
- The DMSVSE_xxxxxx.SEQ file for each district may then be uploaded into EMISFFE using the Import option. This may require an FTP process to transfer the file from the Alpha to a PC. The process of moving the DMSVSE_xxxxxx.SEQ files will be determined by each ITC.
Prior to uploading, any pre-existing GV records (from prior FY) should be deleted using the 'Delete All' button.
Update files from ODE
Step 4a should be skipped if you are processing an update file from ODE. The update file from ODE will contain only new/additional records that are to be added to the GV source files that had been loaded previously. In this case, you do not want to delete the GV records which had been loaded previously.
- When using an FTP process the file must be transferred in an ASCII format with trailing spaces not truncated.
- For those using the Reflections FTP utility, the default setting when transferring ASCII files is to delete trailing spaces. This setting will need to be unchecked so that trailing spaces are NOT deleted during the FTP process.
- Districts may make required updates to the GV records using EMISFFE.
- Districts may add any needed FA records into EMISFFE
- FA records will need to be added using the SSID for the Student ID element to coincide with the Student ID element on the GV record.
- FA records with an assessment type of GY/GU/GW are valid for March reporting.
When extracting for March in EMISFFE, all FA records entered in EMISFFE will be extracted. This includes those FA records that are not GY, GU, and GW assessment types. The data collector will ignore the FA records which are not GY/GU/GW assessment types when collecting and preparing for March.
- When all updates are complete, the Export option of EMISFFE should be used to extract the submission file for EMIS reporting through EMIS-R. When selecting March reporting from the Extraction page, the GV and FA record types are auto selected. No other record types are reported for March reporting. By default, the file will be named xxxxxx_FFE.SEQ. The 'xxxxxx' represents the district's IRN. Districts do have the option of using a different file name if so desired.
- The extracted data may then be uploaded to the Data Collector for processing.